UK Nationals Living in France – Latest Residency Update



If you’re an expat living in France and wish to remain there post-Brexit, here are a few pieces of information you should know (from the UK government):

Brexit is due to take place on 31st October 2019. After this date, you will be required to obtain a new type of residence permit according to your situation. UK nationals who have already applied and are waiting for French nationality and UK nationals who are married or in a civil partnership to French nationals will also need to get the new type of permit.

What will make a real difference is whether the UK will leave the EU with a deal or with a no-deal Brexit.

If a deal is negotiated, UK nationals living in France will have until at least until the middle of 2021 to apply for the new card. However, in a no-deal situation, they will be given a grace period of one year to obtain the residence card which must be applied for within the first six months (from day one of Brexit). Whether or not you already have a European ‘carte de séjour’ (residence permit), you will still need to apply for the new residence card.

If there is no deal, the type of card that you get will depend on your personal situation. The categories, which have been specified by France already, are as follows:

  • UK nationals who have been living in France for five years or more
  • UK nationals who have been living in France for less than five years and fall under one of the below categories:
  • a salaried worker with a Contrat à Durée Indéterminée (CDI)
  • a salaried worker with a Contrat à Durée Déterminée (CDD)
  • self- employed
  • during the last year have either graduated in France or worked for at least three months and are now looking for work or creating a business
  • students
  • family members of UK nationals who qualify for one of the above categories
  • UK nationals who have been living in France for less than five years but do not fulfil any of the above categories

If there is no-deal Brexit, an application for a residence card will cost €119 according to the information published on the UK government website.

UK nationals who hold a permanent ‘carte de séjour’ and who have lived in France for at least five years will be able to exchange their card for the new card with fewer formalities.

Forth Capital Forth Capital specialises in expat pensions and investments – to speak to one of our advisers, click HERE or call 00 41 22 311 1441

Trudi Hayes

The Author

Trudi Hayes

Latest News




Australia and Spain ...

The results of a survey that was recently published by The UK’s Institute for Public...

Read More



UK Expats Living in ...

If you live in the UK, your state pension is uprated every year in line wit...

Read More

Important Information


Access to this site is only granted to users who have read the following terms of use.

The information contained on this website is for information purposes only and is not intended as financial advice, an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument.  This website is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law. The information on this website is subject to change without notice.

Not all products or services are available in all geographical areas. For further information visit our Compliance and Regulation page or contact your local Forth Capital office.

By closing this page, I hereby confirm that I have read and accepted the terms of use set out above.